Sunday, August 31, 2008

This is the Place

On a whim, we decided to visit This is the Place Heritage Park yesterday (for those who don't know, it's a "living history village" about Pioneer life. The employees are "Pioneers," and there are about 50 buildings that have been relocated or are replicas of Pioneer homes and businesses). I hadn't been there since I was a kid, Quentin had never been there at all, and we've been talking about going there for a couple of years but hadn't made it. So we finally went! And boy, we were impressed! We thought we'd be there maybe an hour or so - we didn't realize how much there is to do and how much fun the girls (and us!) would have! We were there for 4 1/2 hours and probably could have stayed nearly an hour more if they hadn't closed for the day! We had an absolute blast. We saw a blacksmith and tinsmith make stuff, rode a train, panned for gold, and the girls rode a pony, made cornhusk dolls, ate penny candy, played in the schoolhouse, and got a "loan" from the banker. What a fun experience - Kiera kept saying how much she loves visiting the "Olden Days."








3 comments:

Candi said...

Isn't that a neat place? We went out there last year, but passed this year. We'll do it again sometime, I'm sure. Looks like you all had a blast -- enjoying your Labor Day weekend.

la-dawn@juno.com said...

What a fun day! I'm sure the girls had a wonderful time!
Now Makenna will want a horse for sure. Glad you are enjoying the long weekend!

Me - Jen said...

Wow - I didn't realize that much goes on at that place. I just thought you went up there and saw that statue of you know who? Gosh what is his name . . . Bingham ??? :) I really need to take the boys there, it looks like fun!!