Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day






Well, we did it. We dropped Kiera off for her very first day of first grade. She was so brave, and I was brave too - till I got out into the empty hallway. I started getting teary-eyed. Then I ran into 4 of my neighbors and we all laughed and gave each other hugs! A few days ago I clipped something I saw in a magazine ad and put it on my fridge: "There will be bigger hallways and bigger kids. There will be new sounds, new friends and new teachers. She'll line up, look back and file inside and at that moment you'll realize this is your first day of school too."

I'm sure Kiera will do fine. She loves school and learning and she's a social butterfly. Yes, she'll have fun and be happy. I'm just sad for me. I miss her. She's my friend, my helper and my entertainer for Makenna and Kasidee. My neighbor says Kiera is sunshine - full of brightness, happiness, goodness and is always thinking of others. This time will be good for me to be able to focus on Makenna and Kasidee. Makenna will be going to preschool in a couple of weeks, we have "standing" playdates arranged, and I have a list of fun things we can do. But I'll still feel lost and a little empty - at least for awhile.

3 comments:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Ah...My heart aches a little too, because all moms have to go through it.
When they start college, you'll be saying, "Seems like just yesterday...she started 1st grade."
Enjoy, relish, treasure and hug each moment.
They go to fast!!!

Allred party of five said...

Kellie- Your blog is so cute! Thanks for telling me about Ben & Jen's blog its so fun to see there cute family. Julie

Camille said...

Kiera looks so cute on her first day of school! Sorry we have been out of the blogging world for awhile with the new baby, but we are getting back into a routine now, so I have been catching up on lots of friends blogs. I am so impressed with all the activities you plan for your kids, you motivate me to do more. It looks like you guys are always doing the funnest things - the fountains, the library, Cherry Hill, Treasure hunts, and the list goes on (thanks for all the good ideas). Kaitlyn wants to tell Kiera hello and was so excited to see all the pictures of your girls. And I love the maxi-turned-diaper on Kassidee!