Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bah Humbug!


So I'm trying to be a "greener" person and be a good example to my girls by recycling. We have 3 large garbage cans in our garage where our recyclables go till I can drive it over to Bountiful City's recycling station (usually about every 10 days or so). I have felt really good about doing this and am proud that my girls are more aware of "Reducing, Reusing and Recycling." When we went to drop off our stuff a few days ago, the recycling station was closed. I figured it was just temporary - but today my friend told me that Bountiful City has instituted a mandatory curbside recycling program and has discontinued their drop-off station. Aughhh! People in Centerville or Farmington have to PAY some company to pick up their recycling. Shouldn't they be paying US??? I'm so disappointed and frustrated - I don't know what to do. Plus here's another thought. I bought those cute little reusable shopping bags, thinking I was helping the environment. But now I have to buy plastic garbage sacks for my kitchen garbage cans. I guess it's all just part of the "things that make you go Hmmm...."

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I did the same thing Monday... went to drop off my loads of recycling only to find it closed. Now we have more trash than we can fit in our can. :S And I feel so guilty every time I stick something recyclable in the trash. I'm praying that West Bountiful follows Bountiful's lead for curbside.

Katie said...

Good for you for going "greener"! I've got the reusable bags too and I love them. I got mine at Walgreens - they are the biggest I've been able to find.

Jolene said...

I am actually excited for the change, but only because I live in Bountiful.
Guess all you guys will just have to move down to Bountiful to get your curbside recycling, or else start petitioning at your city councils to start it in your own cities (that is what we did).

The Stansbury Stephens said...

OR...maybe you can convince them to do what we do. We have the blue recycle trash bags that we can throw all of our recycling in and then put that bag in our trash can. Because it's blue it's separated out (at least I hope it is). If anyone knows where to recycle 'glass' I'd love to know!