Friday, July 8, 2011

Oobleck

I had never even heard of Oobleck until a few months ago when I was on the internet, searching for something for preschool. Up popped a recipe for Oobleck and it got me curious. I wrote it down, thinking it would be a fun thing to do this summer. So then when we went to San Francisco, the Exploratorium had an exhibit on this Oobleck stuff. So cool, and we couldn't wait to try it when we got home.

So today we tried it. You just have to try it to understand it. I guess Oobleck was named after a Dr. Suess book where a gooey substance (called Oobleck) covered the whole town. Oobleck is known as a non-Newtonian substance, meaning that it has liquid properties and solid properties as well. It's strange - it pours like a liquid but when you exert pressure on it (stirring, poking, rolling, etc.) it feels more like a solid. It's weird. And Kiera, our science nut, couldn't get enough of it!

So...here's the recipe in case you're interested:

1 cup water
1 1/2 to 2 cups cornstarch
Food coloring (optional)
Mix with hands, wait about 10 minutes, then pour onto a counter or table and have fun!

1 comment:

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

Our kids love Oobleck! I don't so much, it is defiantly outside project, at least at our house. They will spend hours playing with it!