Monday, June 13, 2011

Project

I like projects. I don't mind working hard, for a long time, on something. It can even be sweaty, dirty, hard labor - like cleaning out the garage or putting in a garden. Of course, I prefer the kind of projects that transform something blah (or stressful) into something pretty. I guess that's why I love a good organization project or home improvement project.

But I don't really like the kind of projects that HAVE to be done without some sort of "pretty" or "fun" benefit to it. It's kind of like when you get your car fixed. It costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time - and perhaps hundreds of dollars later it doesn't look any different. Not quite as exciting as spending that money and time on painting a room or getting new furniture.

Well, we had one of "THOSE" projects recently. A couple of weeks ago I walked into the guest room and smelled an overwhelming BAD SMELL (not really musty, but more like a stinky B.O. smell. Yuck.) I couldn't figure it out, but when I mentioned it to Quentin he panicked. Just like he suspected, water had been seeping into that room - for who knows how long. We pulled up the carpet in 1/4 of the room and aired it out for a few days. All seems well, but we don't want this happening again. Upon close inspection, Quentin discovered that the downspout on the front corner of our house was plugged up with mud. So all that rain we got the last couple of months was just piling up and seeping into the foundation.

So...Quentin has been replacing the corrugated tubing that runs from the downspout - and he's running it all the way from the front corner of the house to the very west end of our property near our garden. He's been digging a trench about 18 inches deep all the way along the length of our yard - over 100 feet! I think I've counted at least 30 hours of hard work. And he's just. about. done. Check it out:




(The tubing runs next to our shed)


I'm so happy Quentin is such a "handy man" and knows how to do practically anything. Or if he doesn't know how to do something, he's not afraid to figure it out. And he always does it right. Yay Quentin! Anyway, he's been working hard. And this is how the girls helped out:

No comments: