Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Photographing Life / Why I Blog


I guess I'm in sort of a musing mood today.... I came across an article the other day that basically criticized the fact that, due to the technology of digital cameras, people feel like they can take as many pictures as they want. The article's point was that people are too busy photographing their life - not living it. That made me stop and think. Quentin is sometimes teased for the amount of pictures he takes of EVERYTHING, and I think some of that shutterbug reflex has rubbed off on me. We both love to photograph everything - the big, important events in our lives as well as the silly details. But I have to disagree with the author of that article. Yes, sometimes it can be easy to get caught up in staying behind the camera and missing out on the activity. But I have realized that being behind a camera helps me pause and be AWARE of what is going on. I might not normally stop to take notice of Kasidee's cute footprints after splashing through water - but what a neat picture! It's being aware of the moments and the details.

And that's why I also love to blog. I've always been a fan of journaling (I've written something for every day since 1994!) and scrapbooking. But blogging is a way to quickly do both, and it's sometimes a more convenient way. And, though I've heard blogging is like bragging (you only hear the good parts about someone's life), it's a way to get those thoughts on "paper" - because otherwise they might be forgotten. It's another way to pause and be aware of your life.

So there you have it. I'm sure more musings will come. This is, after all, a blog. And I love being able to say whatever I want on it!

1 comment:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Kel, you do a beautiful job of blogging!
You have always had a talent for writing and I look forward to checking your blog every day.
Someday, I'm sure you will put it all together in a book!!!!