Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Home


Last week Quentin, the girls and I went to the Parade of Homes. We only had a limited time to go, so we only got to see about half the homes, but I just love it! I remember going to these as a kid with my parents, and Quentin and I have gone several times since we've been married. I'm always fascinated by the designs and the decorations. The floorplans and the "flows." It's amazing to me what a big impact seemingly little things (color, decor, etc.) can have on a space. And I always like to imagine the lives of the people that will someday live in those houses.

But I think what thrills me the most about seeing other people's homes - whether they're Parade of Homes homes or homes of friends and family - is what I call (for lack of a better term) The Psychology of Home. Every home, whether brand-new or a hundred years old, furnished or empty, exudes a feeling. A personality. A home has a mood. And it can instantly be felt by the owner or a visitor. And I love pondering the fact that the "perfect" home is not the same for everyone. Everyone has an idea of what would be ideal for them and their family, and it's amazing how everyone's taste is so different - not just in a layout or floorplan, but in color and decor as well. And I just think that's fascinating!

At one of the homes, I noticed a couple of books on the coffee table (which I promptly requested from the library) - "An Affair with a House" and "Life Would be Perfect if I Lived in That House." Don't those sound intriguing? Maybe someone else thinks about The Psychology of Home like I do!

(P.S. And I have to admit that it's fun looking at all those fancy Parade of Homes houses and coming back home thrilled that we've got the perfect house for us!)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love the Parade of Homes too! Did you go to the one in Farmington (just above Shepherd Lane) with the B-ball court and pool? My dad built that one!!