Thursday, March 11, 2010

Meet Your Meat



Okay, in my 22+ years of being a vegetarian, I feel like I've been a pretty good person (at least I hope so!). I feel like I don't judge others when they choose to eat meat, and I don't try to "convert" people and usually don't even talk about it unless someone seems interested in knowing more.

Lately I've read a few books and seen a few movies that have reconfirmed my decision to be a vegetarian (and borderline vegan!). Also recently, a few of my neighbors and family members have been trying to eat more naturally, including more organics and whole foods, etc. and I've been thrilled to see a lot of vegetarian "basics" becoming almost mainstream (at least in my little world) - even if they still include meat occasionally in their diet.

Well, one of my dear friends and neighbors has been doing most of her grocery shopping at Whole Foods for the last few months - she buys organic milk, soy yogurt, whole fruit roll-ups, quinoa, and grass-fed meat. She is amazed at what a difference it has made for her, her husband and her two young boys.

She's the one who told me about the video "Meet Your Meat." She said she hasn't dared watch it yet because she might not eat meat ever again (is that a bad thing?!) :) Anyway, I was curious and found it online. Wow - my heart is still pounding. If you're curious to know what really goes on and where your meat really comes from, I encourage you to watch it. Be aware that there are some disturbing images (and even a swear word), but the discomfort you feel may prompt you to better algin your values with your actions.

I realize that Heavenly Father created animals for a purpose and most likely one of their purposes is to sustain humans with meat, milk, eggs, etc. But I'm appalled at how things have changed from the "olden days" - animal products are not as pure and healthy as they used to be. In fact, everyone knows that cow's milk is known for its rich source of calcium. Calcium is a mineral which comes from the ground. When cows eat grass it becomes absorbed in their bodies and comes out into their milk. But nowadays, most cows don't eat grass - they eat corn - and their milk has very little calcium in it. So calcium is ADDED to the milk when it is being processed. It's not really in the milk to begin with!

Anyway, I'll get off my little soapbox now. Just a little food for thought. And I hope I haven't come across like a PETA commercial. But check out the video at http://uneasysilence.com/Qgd and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

Wow...that little video was horrible...I'm not a huge meat eater, but I do enjoy it. Maybe not so much from now on.

Candi said...

I wonder who your friend is that shops at Whole Foods. I've been trying to get up the courage to start going there more often, but when I think of driving down there every week I get a little nervous. One of these days I know I'll make the effort and just do it!

I'm reading a great book right now called "The China Study" which is all about animal proteins and the ill effects they have on us. I'm sure as a vegetarian you've probably heard a lot about how you're not getting enough protein. This is a great book to teach us that there are better ways to get protein than from animals. I'm a slow reader, but you're more than welcome to borrow it if I ever finish!