Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chickpea Curry


I have a new obsession. Chickpea Curry. Seriously. I've tried different versions of this Indian staple but have found that most are overpoweringly (is that a word?) SPICY! I was in the mood to try a new recipe last week and stumbled upon this one. I made it...and fell in love! And I can't stop craving it - I think I'll have to make another batch SOON!

I decided to post this recipe so all future generations can know this was one of my favorites! I just added a simple green salad and some crusty bread. Mmmm.... Let me know if any of you try it!

4 large (Costco-sized!) potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium yellow onions, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons curry powder (or more, depending on your taste)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons cumin (or more - seriously, can you ever have too much cumin? Mmmm)
2 teaspoons salt
2 (10.75 oz.) cans condensed tomato soup
1 cup milk (or soymilk!)
2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained

1. Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Stir in curry powder, ginger, cumin and salt. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring.
3. Pour in soup, milk, chickpeas and corn. Stir in potatoes. Simmer till heated through.

1 comment:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Looks like it makes alot!
Any leftovers???
YUMMO!