Friday, March 26, 2010

Field Trip

This morning I got to join Makenna for her "big" class field trip to Fresh Market in Centerville. I had volunteered to go but then the teacher discovered there were too many moms that volunteered so she just picked 6 to go and sent a letter home. Makenna said, "I hope they need you to go - because I need to you to go!" Oh, how sweet! So it was a good thing I was "picked!"

So we walked to the bus stop, took the maybe 3 minute bus ride on the UTA (not school!) bus, then walked to the grocery store. There, they got to sample cheese at the deli, look at the birthday cakes, get an apple from the produce manager, talk to the butcher (Makenna's least favorite part), and go in the back and see the walk-in freezer and walk-in fridge where the milk is stored. Then they each got to pretend to be a cashier and scan something. Then they got a balloon and a sack full of snacks. Then we walked back to the bus stop and rode back to school.

Today I had an "aha moment" about why I just love kids. Everything is new to them and so exciting. They are thrilled about such little things. One kid exclaimed as we were walking to the bus stop, "Woah! Look how little our school looks!" And you should have heard the squeals when they could spot the bus coming down the street. So sweet and simple!

Oh, and I have to tell something about Makenna. As we were walking back to the bus stop to go back to school, Makenna's friend Ellie came up to me and said, "Makenna is such a good friend. She gave me her balloon!" Each kid had received a balloon, so I asked Makenna why she gave Ellie the balloon. Makenna said, "Ellie's balloon went up in the sky. I didn't want her to be sad, so I gave her my balloon." So sweet! Another mom overheard and ran back and got Makenna a balloon. I just wish I could bottle up this sweetness and innocence and pure excitement!

MAKENNA'S REACTION WHEN THE BUS STARTED GOING

CUTE FRIENDS

PRETENDING TO BE A CASHIER

THE WHOLE GANG

WAITING FOR THE BUS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL

No comments: