Saturday, January 21, 2012

#@%& Pinterest!

Okay, so after months and months of hearing about Pinterest, a few weeks ago I finally checked it out. After initially feeling overwhelmed and confused, I got hooked. Big time. It is such a waste of time - but I feel drawn to it every spare moment I have. It's fun to get great ideas about everything under the sun, but it also makes me feel wishful and stressed that I can't do every single project right. this. second.

However, it has also helped inspire and motivate me. I love Januarys so I can focus on indoor projects, whether it's home improvement projects, trying new recipes, doing crafts. One thing I've noticed on Pinterest is that little things can make a big difference.

So...since is was a dreary and drizzly day today (my favorite kind!) and we had a free day stretched out in front of us, we decided to tackle some "forgotten projects" that were on our list. Not on Pinterest's list, but on the list of things we noticed when we moved in 5 years ago but hadn't thought much of since. We love, love, love our home and think everything about it is perfect and beautiful. But it's got weird electrical issues. One light switch has to be pushed all the way up to make the lights stay on, and lately it has gotten to the point where it won't stay on at all. The kitchen light switch used to work fine, but about a year ago we ended up having to flip the switch DOWN to turn the lights ON. And one of our recessed lights goes on or off depending on it's mood.

So...we went to Home Depot this afternoon to get stuff to fix these things, and I spotted some brushed nickel knobs and handles. When we first moved into our house, we noticed that 4 of the closet doors (that all looked the same) had 4 different types of '80's style knobs on them. I remember changing the knobs within the first month of moving in. But for some reason (money? time? lack of interest?) I found myself overlooking the ugly knobs in the laundry room. But when I saw the sleek, new, beautiful knobs at Home Depot I knew it was time.

Even though "honey wood" is not "the latest" thing, I love it's warmth and natural beauty. And adding pretty, classic knobs to my laundry cupboards and drawers brought them into the current century! I know it's a change that no one else may even notice, but to me it makes me happy inside. Just a little change can make a big difference in my little world that I see all day long. I knew you'd ask, so of course I took some before/after pics. Check it out:

BEFORE



AFTER




While I put the new knobs on, Quentin tackled the electrical issues and put new white switches and switchplates on. Little differences, I tell ya, make me smile. It makes our home seem newer and prettier!

Now...we just need another snowy, free day to finish changing our switch plates (half are cream and half are white) and our knobs (half are painted gold and half are brushed nickel) - I'm just a little OCD about stuff like that. Or...maybe I'll just keep it on the list!

1 comment:

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

Love them. It is the little things that make such a difference!