I read an article in January's Good Housekeeping magazine this morning that spoke to me. Gretchen Rubin wrote, "One of the things that has surprised me most is the inverse relationship between clutter and happiness. In the context of a happy life, maintaining a roomy coat closet or a bare kitchen counter may seem like a trivial accomplishment, but somehow it can have a grand effect on your level of happiness. For most people...outer order contributes to inner calm. When I'm surrounded by a mess, I feel restless and unsettled, but clearing clutter gives me a surge of energy."
A-Men! I totally agree! Sometimes I wonder if I'm really OCD because I can't seem to foucs on ANYTHING unless my environment is in order. When I worked as an office administrator, I couldn't start my day until everything was just right on my desk and in my work area. And I noticed that when I was particulary stressed at work, for some reason I would be driven to make sure the Kleenex box was perfectly straight and the papers in my inbox looked neat.
I'm still the same way at home. I have a routine in the morning that includes going in each room and straightening it so it's just right. I know that me or my kids or their friends will mess it up throughout the day, but it gives me inner calmness to start out right. (However, most times I feel like I spend ALL morning getting it just right!)
Even so...I still have stuff. This winter I've been tackling some of my "clutter problem areas" and I feel like I've finally conquered just about every nook and cranny in my house - though it's always something to keep up on. I don't want ANYTHING in my house (or garage or shed or car) unless I need it or love it. Living with other people makes it a little tougher, but I need to respect their stuff and also realize that my girls will eventually outgrow some of their stuff (toys!) and then I (and they) will have fond memories with those things....
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
I love this post. My sister and I were just talking about this yesterday. I told her this exact thing....the only time I feel peace is when the clutter is cleaned up. It NEVER is around here, hence I am continually feeling crazy. Honestly. My mind just doesn't work the same and it is really hard for me to keep things picked up. Really, I hate it and wish it was different. I'm trying. But I completely agree with this post. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment