Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hmmm....

Maybe I'm getting old. Or maybe I'm cheap. Or maybe I'm lazy. Or maybe I'm a homebody. Or maybe, subconsciously, I like to feel in control. Maybe I'm all of that. But I've been noticing things and think maybe I've had somewhat of an epiphany - at least for me.

First of all, I love going out to eat. At least, to places I like. But I've noticed over the past few months that as I've eaten my favorite dishes at my favorite restaurants, I think to myself, "This is soooo yummy. But I bet I could make this at home." And you know what - I've tried, and the results are pretty tasty. I can make pasta that rivals Olive Garden's Capellini Pomodoro. And I have a recipe that even tops Olive Garden's minestrone. I can make open-faced focaccia sandwiches similar to Firehouse Pizzeria's. I make bagel sandwiches like Einstein's, and I can even make yummy Cafe Rio salads. Maybe it's because what I tend to order at restaurants is pretty simple. But it's what I like. And I'm thrilled to be able to make the stuff at home. It's certainly cheaper that way, and I can know exactly what goes into what I'm eating.

BUT...I still can't find the right recipe for my fave Noodles and Co. dish, and I can't find pitas big enough to do my fave Pita Pit wrap. And I could never compete with the variety found at my fave restaurant Sweet Tomatoes.

And another BUT... The downside of cooking at home is that I can't just get up from the table, walk out the door, and have someone else clean up the mess! So, there are still lots of benefits that will keep me going out to eat every once in awhile.

Anyway, the second thing I've realized.... Last weekend, Quentin and I went on a date to see a movie. We had gotten a free ticket so we thought it would be a good excuse to get out and spend some time together. The movie was okay, and it was fun getting out. But we realized how much more we like our own theater room in our own house. It's more comfortable, we can control the sound, we can pause it to go to the bathroom or get a snack, and we don't get sticky shoes.

So...like I said, maybe I'm old/cheap/lazy/a homebody/a control-freak. But I just like being home and being entertained at home. It's easier and more fun!

2 comments:

The Stansbury Stephens said...

I agree. Sometimes doing things at home is much easier and simpler. Especially with kids. You know how much I LOVE to eat out and still do, but I think it's been less lately because I too can make the dishes I love for a lot less and then I don't have to pay for half eaten kids meals or a sitter. A date night is nice, perhaps some creativity will need to be had as far as doing things we like that we can't do at home. Let me know if you have any ideas on that.

la-dawn@juno.com said...

I agree....I'd much rather eat at your house and watch a movie than go out!!! What time???