Happy New Year Everyone! I don't really start my new year until the Monday following the 1st. It's just too hard to get motivated when it's a holiday - there's too much relaxing and puttering and playing to do. So hopefully I'll be motivated by Monday (after the girls go back to school and I'm forced to get back to reality) to put my new plans in action. I've been thinking for several weeks about the goals I want to work on this year, and the goals I think we need to work on as a family. It seems I always have at least some of the same goals year after year - be a better parent, be healthier, etc. I think I have to realize that goals like those can't be an all-or-nothing type of goal. If I fail in one area (like, I still have a hard time saying no to soda pop), then I'll just try again. And again. But the point is that I'll keep trying, and hopefully I'll learn along the way. And maybe be a tad better at the end of the year.
Another thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is BALANCE. And I want that to be my theme of this year. Balance in all things. I've been to some houses that are so simple and clean - they have nothing unnecessary and nothing out of place. I long for a house like that, and seeing theirs makes mine feel messy and overloaded. But then I look at other houses that have lots of stuff and yet they feel homey and comfortable and warm. I want that feeling in my home too. So...balance. I've got to do what works for me - without comparisons. And not just for my house. I think it's dangerous for us (and I'm guilty of it!) to to compare ourselves to others (or what we THINK others are like) and wonder how we measure up - parenting styles, education, family time, etc. etc. My goal this year is to find balance in each area of my life. To have a home that is orderly, but also a home that is comfortable to be in. To be a mom that can be a "tough guy" when I need to, but also to be a mom that my girls like to be around and can have fun with. To be good to my body but not beat myself up if I eat something not-so-healthy every once in awhile. To get things done, but also enjoy life along the way!
Saturday, January 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









3 comments:
Well said! I wish you luck. Maybe I can do my part to help you...like the not comparing part. I can keep trying, right? ;) I'll do my best.
What????
You and Quentin are the BEST parents...Your house is always spotless....and you eat healthier than anyone I know!!!
Give yourself a break...I want to "grow up" to be just like you!!!
Well said LaDawn! No kidding Kellie! Cut yourself some slack! Except for the soda thing...that stuff is terrible for you....
Post a Comment