

We have a light purple bathroom. Yep, just like a grandma would have. It's the bathroom that the girls use, but it's also the one that "company" uses if they're upstairs. It hasn't bothered me too much in the 4 years we've lived in this house - I think because I've always had in the back of my mind that I would eventually paint it a different color. Well, a few months ago I decided to get with it and pick a color. I always get so nervous picking paint colors because what I see on the little card ends up looking totally different on a wall. Anyway, after months of looking at 25 or so little cards in different lights (even different seasons!), I gradually narrowed it down to one. perfect. color. And I got excited. And the plan was that this week I would finally get 'er done.
I casually mentioned it to the girls on Monday that I finally decided on a paint color and that I would be painting the bathroom sometime this week. I even showed them the cute little card with the color on it. They all gasped and looked horrified. "You can't paint our bathroom! It's the girls bathroom and purple is the color for The Sisters Club. If you're going to paint it at all, you should probably paint it pink." Um, no.
So...I guess I have a dilemma. Should I respect the girls' wishes and leave the bathroom like it is (even with the froggy potty chair and ducky toothbrush holder) and realize that they'll grow up too quickly and eventually outgrow a purple bathroom and then I can paint it what I want? Or should I "be the mom" and say, "Well, that's tough because I'm painting the bathroom. You have a purple bedroom for crying out loud - isn't that enough purple for you?"
Any ideas?









4 comments:
My suggestion? They can keep the bathroom purple only if they are the ones cleaning it!
I don't know.....if you were going to paint it white I say let them keep some color for a while longer......kind of depends on what color you were going to use.
Keep it purple! Kids are kids for such a short time, enjoy the froggy potty chair and ducky toothbrush holder, and bright purple bathroom. It means that your kids are important. Kids get to make so few decisions, and if purple is the Sisters Club color, don't mess with it!
I like what Sweet Pea said. Just don't hold me to it when I go against my kids and take down the newsprint wallpaper and replace the mongo red tub, sink, and yellow vinyl flooring. At least you have a pretty and pristine girly bathroom for your girls. And you do have all girls at that. I think it suits your family! If you feel you must paint something, maybe you could use your perfect color for the downstairs bathroom. I know you just painted it a few years ago, but change is fun! Or we could have a painting party at my house :)
Post a Comment