Friday, May 23, 2008

Yay! It's FINALLY Done! (Pretty much)

As you know from previous posts, my idea of quickly giving the downstairs bathroom a new coat of paint mushroomed into a big remodeling project. We decided to retile the floor (which was a big project in itself), then we added beadboard and a new faucet. Then we sort of got burnt out. But then I got the bug again (I love to always have some sort of project to work on) - one day I taped and prepped the bathroom for painting and then the next day I painted. I was so amazed - all three girls (even Kasidee) were content to play in the next room for several hours while I primed and put on two coats of paint. At first I worried that the paint color was too bright, but now I absolutely love it. In some lights it looks kind of purple and in some lights it looks kind of blue - I guess that's the definition of periwinkle, right? That's the color I was looking for. It's bright and fresh and envigorating. It looks like a totally new bathroom. So after the new paint, we were inspired to ditch the "cowboy" towel and toilet paper holders as well as the mirrored movie-star light fixtures. So we got new ones, as well as some new framed mirrors and a new shower curtain. I can't believe the difference. This has been a fun project that Quentin and I have enjoyed working on together. The only thing left is putting on the new knobs for the cabinets and maybe a new picture or two. And speaking of cabinets, we're still debating on whether or not to eventually repaing them matte black (they're brownish-blackish now and in need of a new coat of paint). So after that, we'll have to find a new project - perhaps converting the shed out back into a playhouse for the girls!!

BEFORE...





AND AFTER...

(P.S. The reason the mirror above the sink is off-centered from the lights is because we wanted it directly above the sink. So it kind of looks funny, but we're planning on putting a picture or a little shelf or something to kind of balance it out. Anyone have any ideas??)




6 comments:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Oh, my....it is absolutely beautiful!!!
It looks so classy...like a picture in a magazine!
I love everything about it!
Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike said...

Excellent work! Does Quentin do wood floors? I am waiting for the "bug" to get that project done... talk about being burned out. Of all my (uh.. my wife's) projects, wood floors has been my least favorite.

So, what's your next project going to be?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Good work! John and I (mostly John) is remodeling our downstairs basement as well. You sound like us. We are always looking for a project. Love what you've done!

Katie said...

It looks great! You guys did a great job!

Kristin said...

It really does look great! Good job... I don't have that kind of motivation, so I find it very impressive!

Me - Jen said...

WOW - it looks awesome. I can't believe it. Your mom is right, it looks like it came straight from a magazine. Good job you guys!! Now what is next? can't wait to see!!