Thursday, May 10, 2012

What a Day!

Yesterday was quite the day. I knew it was going to be busy - a 5-hour field trip to the Natural History Museum and Red Butte Gardens with Kiera and her class, Kiera and Makenna's cooking class, Kiera and Makenna's piano recital, and Book Club at my house at 8:00.

But then it got busier. About 1 1/2 hours before the end of the field trip, I got a call that Makenna had fallen off the monkey bars at school and her wrist was swollen and hurting. Erg. I felt so helpless and stranded, and I kept thinking in my mind, "Oh, my little Makenna. I want to be with you!" My mom was watching Kasidee and was able to get a hold of Quentin at work. He left work and got Makenna from school. He was able to get her in to the orthopedic specialist who confirmed that her right wrist is indeed broken - the same one she broke about a year and a half ago. It's still too swollen to cast, so they'll do that next week. Till then, it is braced and wrapped and in a sling. Poor thing!

She was in pretty good spirits - mostly really tired - but she was so disappointed to miss her very first piano recital. She started taking lessons in January and was looking forward to this first recital and showing off the piece she had worked so hard at perfecting. We told her it would be okay, and that we would still go to watch Kiera. Makenna said, "Well, let me try something." She sat at the piano and played her recital piece entirely with her left hand (it was a piece that she was supposed to play with her right hand, and a little of her left.) It was so cute to see her little left-handed fingers walking along the keys, but she played every note perfectly, and it sounded just right!

She was determined to still play in the recital, and she - and Kiera - both did great. I'm so proud of both of them. Kiera is loving piano lessons and is doing so well. And I'm proud of Makenna for rising above the potential embarrassment and being so brave!

1 comment:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

It WAS quite a day!!!
What a trooper you are, Makenna!
You and Kiera did a beautiful job at the recital!!!