Thursday, November 4, 2010

Confession



I have a confession to make. I love In-N-Out Burger. Well, maybe not love. But at least I'm no longer despising the fact that they just opened down the street from me. Being a vegetarian, I roll my eyes when I hear all the excitement about how great their burgers are. Don't we have enough burger joints in Davis County? And I looked the other way when Quentin went there on their grand opening to "see what it was all about."

But my perception changed a bit last night, after Quentin and Kasidee returned from a little Daddy-Daughter date. Quentin took Kasidee to In-N-Out Burger, of all places. They returned with a half-eaten basket of fries. Quentin was beaming when he read me the little handout he got: "Each day, we start with a fresh batch of whole potatoes. We wash, peel and hand-cut the potatoes one at a time. Then, we cook them to a golden brown in 100% trans-fat free, cholesterol-free vegetable oil. Always have. Always will." Now, that might not sound astounding to many people, but you have to understand I have a split personality. While I feel like I pass up meat products and have mostly healthy, whole foods in my diet, I do have to admit that french fries are one of my guilty pleasures. But through the years I have found I can't eat ones from restaurants. McDonald's fries contain beef flavoring (how yummy is that?!), Wendy's fries theirs in the same oil as their fish (what the heck?!), etc. etc. You would think a french fry would be a vegetarian food!

So...I realize french fries are by far not healthy and the frying process probably causes cancer - I know what you're thinking Candi! :) But at least there's a more natural option available out there, besides making my own. Maybe it's not a good thing to know. And maybe it's not a good thing that it's just down the street!

No comments: