


(Sorry the pictures look so yellow-ish. I couldn't get very good lighting with the flash off!)
When the countdown to summer was approaching, I started getting a little nervous. I love, love, love having my girls home with me. But I also like the structure that a daily schedule gives our day, and I worried that no school could possibly equal nothing getting done. (Yes, I realize that is part of the appeal of summer, but we can't lay around like sloths ALL day long!)
Over the years, I have tried various "chore charts" and other methods of motivation and have been disappointed. Then I had an idea that I thought would be fun, simple, and (most importantly) work for our family. The girls each picked out an image online of a house or village that they liked. The key was that it had to have quite a few windows and/or doors or other items. I printed out the pictures, mounted them on foam board, then cut out as many windows or doors as I needed. Then I put clear contact paper on top to protect it and glued on little bead "knobs." Each window or door is numbered, and behind each is a "chore."
Each morning all of the doors and windows are opened. As they complete each chore, the door can be closed. Now, I realize that getting ready for the day maybe isn't normally included on a chore chart, but it is something that needs to be done before playing with friends or doing other activities. In fact, the girls have to complete the first 3 doors in the morning. Doors 4-7 can be completed at any time during the day, door 8 is done at dinnertime, and door 9 at bedtime. Voila!
At the end of each day, I will make a note of how many doors were closed (meaning how many chores were completed) and that will correspond to how much allowance will be given at the end of the week. If at least 7 of the 9 doors are completed each day, a small bonus amount will be added. (Allowance is another thing we've struggled with - it's been hit and miss in our household. We've hesitated to pay the girls for things they should be doing anyway to help out the family, but this way a small amount can be earned for completing various tasks - and we're anxious to be more consistent in teaching them about tithing, saving, and even how money can grow. And maybe this way they'll be more "choosy" about what they beg for in the store because it will come from their own money!)
Each girl - even Kasidee - has their own chart. I'm hoping this system will finally work. It includes things that need to be done every day, goals that we are encouraging, and extra items to help out around the house. Tomorrow will be the first day we'll try our new charts - we'll see how it goes!









2 comments:
Awesome charts! You are so creative!
Love these! So cute! You would like the book "Three Cups." It's a picture book about handling money. Three cups represent charity, saving, and spending. We need some good chore charts around here...I might try this!
Post a Comment