Saturday, May 8, 2010

Stuff.



My girls have toys. Lots of toys. Yes, a lot. But I didn't really think about it too much until a few months ago when I heard comments from a couple of people that we have more toys than anyone they've ever seen, etc. Seriously?! I kind of figured all homes with kids were overrun with toys. I have quite a few friends that undoubtedly have more toys than we do. And other friends that somehow manage to keep their toy stash to a minimum.

Should I be embarrassed? Well, I'm not. Probably 3/4 of our toys have come from other people as gifts. And I think it's important to teach our girls appreciation for what we have and what people give us, plus teach them respect by taking care of them. I believe that teaching respect for THINGS can be directly related to having respect for PEOPLE.

And besides, I'm thrilled that we finally have an official Play Room. In our old house, we had toys spread out in 5 different rooms. I felt like they were taking over the house. And that was when we only had 2 kids! But now, with the exception of a few beloved stuffed animals and some scooters and some dress-up clothes, ALL of the toys are tucked neatly into ONE room. And each toy has its place. All nice and organized. And when things get messy in there and we don't have time to straighten up, at least the door can be closed and dealt with later!

Don't get me wrong. I hate clutter. Hate, hate, hate clutter. It totally stresses me out. And I love, love, love to organize and get rid of things. I have weeded out toys and sent plenty to the D.I. You wouldn't know that by seeing the stash we still have. But believe me, I've gotten rid of a lot. But you know what? Even though I hate clutter and love having things "simple," I don't mind toys. Childhood is such a fleeting moment, and play is a child's work. Sure, kids can still play if they only have a few - or no - toys, but as I look at our collection of different toys, what I see is pretending and imagining and learning. And I'm happy to have that in my home.

So...do I sound defensive? Well, I hope not. I just went through our Play Room, straightening it up and thinking maybe I should get rid of at least half our stuff. But seeing each item made me think, and I began composing this post in my head. Because, after all, this is a Blab. I mean, a Blog! (And besides, just think of all the money my preschool partner and I will save by not having to buy toys for the preschool! Between our 7 kids, I'm sure we'll have enough to share!)

2 comments:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Young mothers simply cannot visualize being grandmothers some day.
Believe me, it happens (thank goodness!) And I just wish I had held on to MORE toys and memories than I did!
STUFF is OK.

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

We have a massive amount of toys too, and my kids play with them. Some are for younger kids, and now we are getting older kid toys. I feel blessed that we have so much for our kids, and play is a childs work. Having a play room is great, especially with a door that will close. You shouldn't be embarrassed. I feel like we just need to take childhood by the hand, all that goes with it and just embrace and cherish every single second, messy toys and all.