Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day


I've always thought of Memorial Day weekend as an oxymoron. It's a time to be reverent, somber even, and remember our loved ones and be grateful for those who do so much to preserve our freedoms.

And then we have a barbeque.

Kind of opposing thoughts and behaviors, and it's always baffled me. But I think I finally get it.

After church today, Quentin and the girls and I had a late lunch/early dinner in the backyard. Black bean burgers, corn on the cob, macaroni salad, baked beans.... There's just something about Memorial Day that signals the start of Summer and outdoor fun. Eating outside, watching the hummingbirds dart around, and being together as a little family felt good.

Later in the afternoon we visited Grandpa Johnson's grave and Grandpa Stephens's grave. We took a moment to pause and remember and to tell the girls stories about their great-grandpas. As we turned from Grandpa Stephens's grave to head back to our car, we spotted Dallin and Crystal with Grandma Stephens. Not long after, we saw someone we didn't know put their arms around Grandma Stephens - a niece that Grandma hadn't seen in decades. Laughter and gratitude filled the air, and it was fun getting to know this lady and hear some of her stories.

A few graves away, her family was quickly gathering. About 20 people surrounded the gravestones with camp chairs, blankets, and baskets full of cookies and Fiddle Faddle. Loud laughter and stories began. I looked around, almost embarrassed at the "irreverence." But then I understood the point of what they called their "Party with the Dead." They were together. They were being a family. They were creating traditions. They were telling stories and reliving memories. They were honoring their loved ones that have passed on, and they were celebrating the life they have together. And that's exactly what Memorial Day - barbeques and all - is for.

No comments: