Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bittersweet


A little over 8 months ago when I started teaching at Kiera and Makenna's old preschool, I had mixed emotions. I felt like this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up (they had approached me to see if I would be interested in teaching), and yet I was scared to death. I was nervous about the time commitment (even though it was just 2 1/2 hours once a week, sometimes that seemed like a big chunk of the week), but I was also excited to have a creative outlet. I was nervous I didn't have "what it takes" but I was excited for the challenge. See, lots of mixed emotions!

But when I began teaching back in September, my first month was rocky. My 8 preschool kids and I were all trying to get to know each other and establish some sort of routine and expectations. I thought, "Oh my gosh - what have I agreed to do?! There's no way I can back out of this now - I'll just have to trudge through and somehow make it work." What was even worse was I was having second thoughts about starting my own preschool the next year.

But you know what? After about 3 or 4 weeks, it started clicking. I figured out the routine and things started going smoothly. I began enjoying and even loving the cute little 4-year-olds and looked forward to being with them. I enjoyed coming up with activities and projects, and my own girls were happy to do the projects at home as well. It started feeling like I had balance, like I knew what I was doing, and I loved it.

And now, 8 months later, I have mixed emotions again. The time has gone so fast and the preschool kids - and my own kids - have grown up so fast. I have been amazed at their progress, what they've learned, what they've become. And next Wednesday it will be time to say goodbye. Sure, I'll be able to wave and say hi as I see them around the school in kindergarten, but I won't be their teacher anymore. But hopefully I've touched them in some way. I'll always remember them - my first preschool class!

And I'll tell you what - I am sooooo grateful for this opportunity I've had. It's really helped to "get my feet wet." Because of this, it got me to seriously consider starting my own preschool, something I've always wondered about in the back of my mind. What better "job" (besides Mommy!) could I have? To be able to impact the future, have a creative outlet, make a little extra cash for our family - and all in about 5 hours a week! Plus, it will be extra special to be able to have Kasidee with me in my class!

And I can't tell you how grateful I am that my sweet mom offered to watch Makenna and Kasidee while I was teaching these past months. My mom is incredibly thoughtful and sweet. And this time has deepened the bond the girls have with their Granny - they simply adore her like no one else!

So...it's been a fun ride - and I'll be ready to do it again in the Fall!

1 comment:

The BS Bunch said...

I didn't realize you were teaching already! Thats awesome! You are so great with kids, I have no doubt you are a wonderful teacher!