Monday, April 19, 2010
Preschool vs. Daycare
In the last couple of weeks, I've had several friends and family members (ALL MEN!) enthusiastically say to me, "Hey, congratulations on your day care! That should be fun!" Day care? DAY CARE?! Hmph! There is a big difference between day care and preschool. It's not just babysitting, it's teaching. It's somewhere I can actually apply principles from my degree that I worked so hard to earn. It's inspiring young little minds and promoting social skills. It's applying child development and psychology theories and preparing these cute little people for their years in kindergarten and beyond. It's preparing an enriching and structured environment where learning on many levels can take place. It's not even comparable to babysitting/daycare. Just so ya know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









3 comments:
Ugh, I hate that too. I used to get that all the time when I worked at the preschool in Wyoming. They offered before and after school care as well as preschool classes (but only for kids 3-5) so lots of people thought it was a daycare. It wasn't!! It was a preschool that offered before and after school care, just like elementary schools sometimes do!!!! The bulk of the day was strictly preschool. I guess I'm still a little touchy a bout this as well..
You are so right...preschool is nothing like day care or babysitting. Don't take it too personal, they are men, not to put men down, but the reality is, they don't spend all day long with the kids-they really don't know. We are so excited to have you as a teacher in a couple years!!!
There is definitely a difference. Glad you explained it. Anyone (well, almost anyone) can watch children and not allow them to hurt themself for a period of time. However Pre-school is teaching little short attention spanned students. By the time they are ready for kindergarten, they will be model students teaching the new ones by example.
Post a Comment