Sunday, October 4, 2009

Trip to Southern Utah

850 miles traveled, 295 pictures taken, and 39 state license plates found (yes, we kept track) - and we're back from our little trip to Southern Utah!

A couple of months ago my mom came across a magazine article about Highway 12 in Southern Utah and asked me if I remembered going there with my parents right after I graduated from high school. Sure enough, I did remember parts of it, and the more I thought about it the more I wanted to go back. Quentin had never been to Bryce Canyon and we thought it would be fun to show the girls. And what perfect timing - the girls had a 4-day weekend because of UEA and Quentin also had taken the time off. And Southern Utah has perfect weather in October - and the leaves were simply glorious!

So we left Thursday morning and drove to Cedar City. Does this look like Cedar City?

Well, it is. And the girls thought it was so cool to see a lighthouse! Anyway, we got to Cedar City in the evening, went to dinner, took a drive up a gorgeous little canyon with amazing cabins, then let the girls swim in the hotel pool.

The next day, Friday, we checked out a couple of museums in Cedar City then headed a little further southeast toward Kanab, where we took a 90-minute tour at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. I first learned about this awesome place when I worked at Trolley Square and helped with "Strut Your Mutt," a fund-raiser for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. The Sanctuary operates the largest NO-KILL sanctuary for animals in the NATION. Dogs, cats, birds, bunnies, horses, and even pigs that were slated to be euthanized can find peace here and either be adopted into loving homes or just enjoy the rest of their lives living in the 3800 acre area where volunteers come to feed, take care of and play with the animals. About 1700 animals can be found there. Amazing isn't it?! Seeing the Sanctuary was inspiring and something I've wanted to see for a long time! (P.S. This is just one of about 25 buildings on the property)


After our tour, we went back into Kanab City, where we saw "Hole in the Rock" museum, which is inside a cave!...


Kiera finally found a "K" on the mountainside...


And the girls got to "drive" a Flintstone-like car!


We spent Friday night in a motel in Panguitch, then set out the next morning for our drive along Highway 12. The magazine article said you can drive this 125-mile road in about 3 hours - but it dared its readers to try! There are so many beautiful things along the way! We browsed at an awesome gift shop (the girls all got "Indian ponytail holders" and candy rocks, which I used to love to tease my grandpa with), went on a few hikes, spent a few hours at Bryce Canyon, and drove on Highway 12. This area is simply amazing. Quentin and I were flabbergasted - we just kept laughing because we were thrilled to be able to see such breathtaking scenery. It kept changing around each corner - we'd see something totally different than the terrain we were in right before. It makes one seem small and insignificant in this huge world, yet at the same time we realize that we are an amazing and important part of what Heavenly Father has created. It's humbling and inspiring!













A few cheesy (but oh-so-cute!) pics near Ruby's Inn at Bryce Canyon....




We spent last night in Richfield, then drove 3 hours back home. Makenna was fascinated with the hotel's complimentary shower cap and wore it most of the way home. She cracks me up!

4 comments:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Beautiful pictures!
I'm so glad you got to see this amazing area and create more wonderful memories for your little family.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. We spent our weekend doing a different version of the same trip but spending Friday night in Richfield and drove home through Manti on Saturday. We skipped Bryce and did Zion's on Friday and spent Thursday in St. George and Snow Canyon.
Fun family times!!!!

Aim Aug said...

We did this for a family reunion when I was prego with Cameron. So fun, we need to go again! I like the cheesy pics.

the stansbury stephens said...

It never ceases to amaze me how your family knows how to relax and have a good time. Way to go!! I swear I saw that article that you are referring to because I remember that challenge. I can't wait to hear more.