
Yeah, it happened. Already. One of our fishies died, not even a week after we got it. When we were considering getting fish, we explained to the girls that fish don't usually live very long and that's just part of how it goes. Kiera was mortified and wondered what we would do with a fish that died. She wouldn't hear of flushing it down the toilet or even putting it in a box and burying it. She seemed okay with putting the dead thing in a pond, but we told her not to think about all that - this whole discussion happened in the car while we were bringing our new fish home! Anyway, from the beginning we noticed that one of our fish didn't eat much and seemed to be "un-energetic." And sure enough it died. Quentin found it after the girls had gone to bed and scooped it up, so at least they didn't have to see the poor thing floating around upside down. But the next morning the girls noticed one of the fish was gone and I had to explain what happened. A few tears were shed, but it wasn't the drama like I expected. I think Kiera especially is sensitive to the sanctity of and has reverence for LIFE - any life, even a fish's. (Hmmm - she'll probably be a life-long vegetarian!) We knew what we were in for when we got these fish, and I think we're all learning some important life lessons!









4 comments:
Sorry to hear about the fish (I guess it's good you started small rather than getting a puppy), but it sounds like your girls are taking the news well.
So sorry about the death in your family. Hope you didn't take it hard. Are you alright? One less mouth to feed under your roof, I am so in-sensitve when it comes to pets. As much as I hate pets it always pulls at my heart strings when the children are sad.
That is such a cute story. I am sorry that you lost a fishy, but it is a good learning experience for the kids
Don't let your kids see you flush them. When I was little, our fish died and we had a "service" and Mom flushed them. My three-year-old sister started refusing to go to the bathroom because she thought they would come up and, "bite her bum."
Post a Comment