Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Junie B. Jones


I am totally stoked. Kiera has always liked books from the time I began reading them to her as a baby, and she really enjoyed learning to read last year in Kindergarten. This year in first grade, I'm amazed at how she has really taken off in her reading and spelling abilities. For weeks she's been talking about the Junie B. Jones books. I guess her teacher has been reading them to the class and she LOVES them - and she thinks it's cool that they're "chapter books." She said that as soon as she gets done with the Houghton-Mifflin (?) set that is required for nightly homework, she can begin taking home the Junie B. Jones books to read by herself. So she's been bringing home 2 books of the required reading each night so she can get through them fast and get on to the Junie B. Jones books.

Anyway, she saw the Junie B. Jones books for sale the other day at the store and begged to buy some - she would even use her own money. As a compromise, I told her we could check some out at the library. So last night we did. I can't believe how engrossed she was with those books! She spent over an hour reading them and read 5 chapters (about 40 pages). I literally had to turn the light out on her at 9:30 so she would finally go to bed. I can't tell you how thrilled I am that she loves reading so much!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay. now tell me about this stomach fat you've cut down? I want some of that!!!!

Me - Jen said...

Oh my goodness, good old Junie B.. . Adam went through that last year also. Good for Kiera to be so motivated to read. The Magic Tree House and Maybird are the books we have been getting into this year. I LOVE Magic Tree House, but I REALLY LOVED reading Junie B with Adam, you should read them,Junie is a crack up!!

Katie said...

Sadie was the same way! I think she's read every one of them (some more than once!) I love it when my girls get excited about reading!

Stephens Family said...

Tawnie, I'm confused - what in the world are you talking about??

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Kiera is following her Mom....
Kellie, you were reading books before you started kindergarten and have always loved it!
Love of books makes gift-giving easy for Granny!!!