Saturday, November 8, 2008

Our New Pet


They must have been talking about pets in Makenna's preschool class lately or something because for the last couple of weeks that's all we've heard about from her. The latest thing is that she wants a "mice" - not a mouse but a mice. Well, there's no way we'll ever have a "mice" for a pet, so we settled on a fish. We figured it was time. So we dug out Quentin's old fish tank, cleaned it up and went to Petco. Each of the girls picked out a fish - and now we have Sparkles, Molly, and Baba. The only thing is Makenna's constant questions have changed from "Can I have a pet?" or "Can I get a mice?" to "Can I hold my fish?" and "Can I put my fish in the bathtub?" and "Can I just pet my fish?" I think this has made me realize that we probably should get a "real" pet someday. I always figured I'd have a dog when I had kids, but I think the hair/pee/bad breath/dirty paws/etc./etc. kind of wig me out. But maybe giving up a clean home would be worth the joy a "real" pet would bring to the kids. Hmmm. Maybe someday.

4 comments:

Me - Jen said...

Oh Kellie you took the pet plunge. You could have just taken our dog for a couple of days :). Please let us know how the fish tank cleaning goes. Fish have bums !!

la-dawn@juno.com said...

I was delighted to stop by and meet the new pets yesterday!!!
The girls were so excited....
It's great to see what goes around comes around, Kel!
How many years did you beg for a puppy!? (And you finally won!)

Aim Aug said...

Fun! Trent has a giant tank in the basement. He wants to do a salt water tank when we get furniture for the basement. Do you have any idea the commitment for salt water. We love fish though!

The Stansbury Stephens said...

Congrats? I'm speechless. I'll be keeping tabs on this one ;) No, I'm sure it will be a great thing for you.