Thursday, April 3, 2008

Our New Project




It started out simple enough. Really. When we moved into our house, I was thrilled that everything was finished AND updated. But after a year of living here, we've realized that our downstairs bathroom just didn't seem to "fit" the rest of the house. It was the only room in the house that hadn't been updated. Big deal, I can hear you saying - it's the downstairs bathroom for crying out loud. BUT we've come to find out that the basement is where we hang out the most and we (and our visitors) are always using that bathroom. So I decided I was up for a little "updating project" - I thought some bright paint and a little beadboard would do the trick. I planned on doing this all myself and surprise Quentin, but when I realized that some of the beadboard would have to be cut with a table saw, I consulted The Man of The House. He was all for my project, but then he said, "You know, if we're going to do that, we may as well replace the tile first. White beadboard against white tile would be too much white." Okay, I think I'm the only one in my whole immediate and extended family that hates the tile. It's white - glossy white. Which means it's a pain in the neck to keep looking clean. Any little drop of water or tiny little hair, and it's like it's magnified. I hate it. Quentin knows this, and I know this, but I figured I just had to live with it. Then Quentin took a tiling class at Home Depot just to see what it's all about. He came home excited and said, "I can do this - this will be easy." So we bought tile and tools and got ready to do it. Then I chickened out. I thought it was too big of a project that Quentin would mainly have to do all by his lonesome; it wasn't really necessary; and we had other projects that were more pressing. I think I burst Quentin's bubble though - he was gung-ho on getting it done. Always up for a challenge, he said he had never done tiling work before and this would be a good excuse for him to learn something new. So... that's a really long background about our new tiling project. Last Saturday when we realized we didn't have any plans, Quentin said, "Well, maybe I'll just rip up the tile real quick." Hmmm - an hour and a half later, he had removed precisely 2 tiles. Apparently whoever put in the ugly tile used the wrong stuff to cement it in. So I begged him to stop right there. It wasn't worth it, plus the tiles he ripped up were in the closet - no one would even know. But he has continued to work on it for 3 nights now and is still having fun with it. He's crazy. I'll be sure to post the "after" pictures!!

5 comments:

The Colby's said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Every project Quentin does is done perfectly.
It seems like he knows how to do EVERYthing and he does it RIGHT.
The new tile will look beautiful!!!

Katie said...

I totally sympathize ... we had that same white tile by our front door and our garage door and we tore it out last year when we put in our new floor. It took forever - we found that a sledgehammer and this heavy duty chisel-type tool (it was the size of a shovel) really helped! I wish we had one you could borrow (we used our neighbor's). Good luck! I'm sure it will look great when you're done! Be sure to post the "after" pictures!

The Colby's said...

LOVE the new look!!:)

Me - Jen said...

Wow that is a project. You guys will have it looking perfect and precise before to long. Oh heck you guys have nothing better to do, right? That is a joke!