Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lookee What I Did!

So most of you may know we have a lot of apple trees. Like nine. And that's a lot. And to be honest, I could pretty much care less about them. Oh sure, they're a pretty border to our backyard and I like to be able to pick a fresh apple every once in awhile. But they can be a lot of work, and the varities of apples we have aren't my favorite.

But behold - we have one beloved peach tree. I just love peaches - they're like a little piece of sunshine. Our poor peach tree has slowly been dying and we've had to cut big branches off to try to save the rest. Last year we got 2 peaches - one of them the birds ate, and the other one we all carefully savored. I was afraid it was over for our little peach tree.

Imagine our surprise when this year our peach tree was loaded! We've been picking 6 or 8 peaches at a time and just devouring them. Soooo good! But we just couldn't keep up. Every time I'd go out to pick some more, I noticed a lot on the ground. So I decided it was time to do something. I picked every last one off the tree, sorted them, and ended up with about 45 peaches. There's no way we could eat that many before they spoiled. I thought of sharing them, making something peachy - and then it hit me. Freezer jam!

Now, I don't have any clue when it comes to canning and frankly I don't have a desire to learn. At least not right now. It seems to technical, and if you mess up you can make your whole family sick. It's too much pressure for me. But I remember my mom making freezer jam and it seemed a lot easier. So...that's what I did! It took about 4 hours and I ended up with about 27 cups of pretty, yummy peach jam. How awesome is that?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome!! I've got to do that tomorrow!!!