Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Random-ness (or should it be Random Summer-ness?)

I don't know why I always think of summer as a relaxing time. It sometimes tends to be busier than the rest of the year! But it's nice to not have to worry about school and homework and preschool and schedules (too much) or bedtimes (too much) and instead worry about how to squeeze in as much fun as possible!

Last week was busy-crazy and fun. My BIG "35" birthday was last week, and I just feel so old. But we had a fun day - Quentin and the girls surprised me with a yummy waffle breakfast, and my Beehive class brought me some beautiful cookies! After they left, my girls warned me that they made a big mess downstairs and this is what I found:


Yikes! I had to crawl under the streamers to find the presents they had for me. So fun! After that, our girls had ice skating lessons. From there, Quentin, the girls and I went to Ikea to browse around for a couple of hours. I just love that place! Then we met my mom and grandma at Sweet Tomatoes for an early dinner, then my mom invited us to her house for strawberry shortcake and sherbet (my faves!)

Last weekend we went camping with Quentin's brother's family. We went to Smith & Morehouse - we had never been there before, but I think it's going to be our go-to place for camping. It was so beautiful - tall pines and aspens - and the kids loved going to the lake and playing in the river. Ahhh, I love camping!


Makenna found that the butterflies loved hanging out on her finger!



Kasidee went to a princess birthday party this week. She was so excited to dress up in her Snow White dress-ups, and Makenna had a blast doing Kasidee's hair and makeup. I just thought it was so sweet that Makenna took so much time helping Kasidee get all ready. After Kasidee left, Makenna turned to me and said, "Ohhh, isn't she just so cute?"


After our camping trip, we came home and hosed off camping chairs, shoes, coolers, and life jackets. The girls thought playing with the life jackets was fun - they put them on, sat on "magic carpet" rugs, and pretended to have "Flying Lessons." They're so creative - and crazy!


Lastly, it has been fun this summer to have our very own hummingbird! One has made a cotton-y nest on top of the antenna we have mounted under our deck roof. She sits on her nest most of the day, and it's fun to see her flit around and eat the necctar from our feeder. Hopefully soon we'll be able to see the babies hatch! (This picture is not the clearest because I had to take it through my bedroom window. If we go too near the nest, the mom flies away. I can't really get my camera close enough to get a picture of the eggs either. Oh well - you can still see her sitting on her nest on our ugly antenna!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I saw this was about summer randomness, i had to see what kind of randomness you are having. Can you believe how busy?!! So weird. I definetly didn't expect that. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I think I was walking by when the YW came over that day. Cute!!
Smith and Morehouse!!! Our very favorite spot. My grandma has a teeny little cabin on a beautiful spot right on top of a hill 10 minutes down the road from Smith and Morehouse. We try to spend 10 days to 2 weeks there every summer and LOVE to canoe around on Smith and Morehouse. So glad you found that gem!! Have a wonderful summer! We're anxious for Monday to see who our teachers are. Maybe we'll be seeing more of each other. :)