Thursday, October 6, 2011

Welcome Home

Though I'm not sure I'm very good at it, I love home decorating and design. I prefer simplicity, but I enjoy "analyzing" how a room looks and feels by what furniture and textiles and decor are in it, as well as how they're arranged. {sigh}

But the garage - that whole space has always stumped me. To me, a garage is a "man's space" with tools and greasy car stuff and small machinery. There's nothing real pretty about a garage.

But I've been intrigued and inspired lately by some blogs - and neighbors! - I've noticed. Their garages are spotless, painted clean white.... I'm wondering where their cobwebs and masses of dead gnats and piles of dry leaves are. And I'm also wondering where their STUFF is. I've seen garages with 2 cars, a rake, a shovel, and an extension cord in it. That's it. Where's all their junk?

Besides that, I've also noticed some garages that have been "prettied up." I'm in love with the shiny black door to the entrance of the house idea, and I love the idea of having shelves with matching storage bins, all in a row.

Well, even though we tried to "de-junk" our garage last spring, it's still millions of miles away from being pretty and organized like I would like. However, I'm happy to say I made a step in the right direction.

Last weekend when the girls and I visited Just A Thought in Bountiful, we got to pick out a vinyl lettering thing just for coming in - for free! I found this one and thought, "How cute would that be on the door coming in from the garage?" So that was that. It seems like we almost always come in the house from the garage, so this is perfect!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Cute! I have a goal of whipping my garage into shape (for realsies this time) next year when Tempe is in school. I'm even going to build some locker style mudroom shelves so dirty shoes/coats/mittens stay in the garage. Of course, we'll see if this really happens...

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

Love the door! It's the perfect touch!