Monday, May 23, 2011

Field Trip

Today I got to go with Makenna on her class field trip. I love field trips - it's a fun activity that I didn't have to plan or make arrangements for. I don't even have to drive - I just show up and feel like I'm a kid playing hooky!

Today we went to Sweet's Candy Factory for a tour. It was really interesting to see how they make jelly beans (they swirl around in what looks like a cement mixer), chocolate, taffy and cinnamon bears. I never knew that the molds for cinnamon bears are actually made out of cornstarch - how weird is that? Anyway, we couldn't take cameras in the tour (they even made us wear hairnets and take off all jewelry.)

After that we went to Vertis Printing to see how they print newspaper inserts. The kids loved seeing the HUGE rolls of paper. And it was fun to see them print all red, then all blue, then all yellow, then all black (maybe not in that order) to get the colors they want.

Then we went to the park for lunch and to play, and I got a kick out of some of the kids who wore their hairnets (from the candy factory) and earplugs (from the printing place) the whole day!

Anyway, I wasn't able to get very many good pictures, but I thought this was cute. This was my group holding hands "just because we're friends."

No comments: