Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Time Out

We've been so busy the last couple of weeks with camping, a day at Lagoon, 2 birthday parties, and we're currently in the middle of a 5-day family reunion (I'll do a post on that later.) We've been staying up late, getting up early, and just going, going, going all day. The girls and I decided to take a break from all the activities today and catch up/relax so we can be ready for a full day of activity tomorrow! When I glanced at the clock at 2:00 this afternoon and realized the house was still messy with cupcake crumbs and greasy fingerprinted windows from yesterday, my first thought was to bark a reminder to the girls to please stop goofing around and clean up your messes, for crying out loud! But before I began barking, I stopped to listen. All 3 girls were playing with Makenna and Kasidee's birthday gifts. They had set up a My Little Pony town and were having a blast playing together. "Hi! My name is Rainbow Pony. Do you want to come out and play? We're having a tea party!" "Oh, that would be lovely! It's nice to meet you - my name is Sparkles Pony." "Isn't it a beautiful day out? What a wonderful day for friends!"

Hmmm.... I stood there at the kitchen sink, hands still dripping with sudsy water as tears filled my eyes. I cried and sniffed silently, so the girls wouldn't hear me, but my shoulders shook as I realized how precious this time is. Don't you wish you could just stop time for a moment and hold onto it forever? I had been so preoccupied with straightening up the house and putting away birthday party/gift messes that I almost missed and messed up a tender moment between sisters. I love, love, love having all of my girls home with me. I want to relish these last days before school starts and schedules begin and they are gone....

1 comment:

la-dawn@juno.com said...

OK...Wait! Now MY tears are falling....
Yes, this time goes much too fast.
Take time and enjoy the small moments with your girls.
I'm so glad that God gives us old people a second chance to enjoy the "little" things with grandchildren!