Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day

Well, we got the morning of the first day of school over with. The girls have been so excited for weeks, but then Kiera woke up this morning with a "jungle" in her tummy. Neither Kiera nor Makenna could even eat a bite of breakfast. We joined the "parade" of parents and kids walking to school, found their classrooms, said hi to teachers and friends, and they walked to their desks. Kasidee and I roamed the halls for a bit and kept peeking in at Kiera and Makenna - they looked like they were already having fun. Kiera was a little more nervous about today, and I think it really helped that, as soon as Kiera walked in her classroom door, her good friend Kendra ran over and gave her a big hug. All is well, I think.

As Kasidee and I were walking home, I said to her, "Well, Kasidee, I guess it's just you and me for awhile." And then I choked up! I miss having all my girls home with me! But I know Kiera and Makenna are having fun, and this will give me a chance to spend some time alone with Kasidee and also get stuff done without so many interruptions. As we left, we noticed about a dozen moms hanging out by the playground. They were talking and dabbing their eyes. And about a minute after that, I had a friend drive by, roll her window down, and start cheering as she drove away. I laughed and thought maybe I'm in between those two groups. I'm crying and cheering all at once today. And I bet my girls are doing the same.






3 comments:

Aim Aug said...

Oh Kelly! I'm in between too. Today I can't wait for school, mostly because we have had enough summer, and I can't take the fighting that has broken out in recent days! Come Wednesday, I know I'll be sobbing too!

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Kel, It's been 28 years since you went off to your first day of school!
I think all mothers get that sad, homesick feeling this time of year.
I STILL do.....
VERY cute pictures!

Kate said...

Even though I've been complaining to everyone that Tempe has to wait 2 more years to start school, I realized this week that I am sooooooo glad she will not be leaving me next year!! I am going to miss her way too much! But I'm glad your girls were excited to go back :)