Thursday, June 12, 2008

More Lessons


I once heard that while it is hard to be a parent, it is important to remember that it is also hard to be a child (as is evidenced by Makenna throwing herself on the couch and floor in a fit). I took this picture this afternoon after we returned from dropping off Kiera for a playdate at Sophie and Chloe's house (they are sisters and are Kiera and Makenna's best friends). A few weeks ago I learned that Makenna pretty much refuses to participate in "clean up time" at Sophie and Chloe's house. And last week when Sophie and Chloe were over at our house, I reminded the 4 of them that it was almost time to end the playdate - I was amazed that Sophie and Chloe immediately began picking up toys and putting things away. Kiera quickly joined in, but Makenna just stood there watching them. I kept telling Makenna that she needed to help; finally I threatened that if she didn't pitch in, she wouldn't be able to play next time. After about 3 or 4 threats ("I mean it, Makenna"), I remembered the Love and Logic idea of "hoping" your children "fail" so they can learn a lesson. So today when Sophie and Chloe invited the girls over to play, I told them that Kiera could come but not Makenna since she had made that choice last time. So we dropped Kiera off and came home (Makenna whined and stamped her feet in her Snow White costume all the way). After her fit, we talked some more about it, and I think she finally "got it." She said she'll follow the rules next time. So...Kiera's been over there just under an hour. I think I may let Makenna go over for the remainder of the playdate. After all, it IS hard being a kid!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

That's awesome! I love that you share these stories. I feel like it prepares me for things to come. I hope I can stay as level-headed as you have.

Katie said...

Yeah for Love & Logic!! Works every time ... almost!