Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Family Rules


Inspired by Super Nanny, for Family Home Evening last night we sat down and typed up a list of "Family Rules." We've always had rules (always wear your helmet when riding your bike, no shoes on in the house, etc.) but there were a few rules that have been needing some special attention. So we wrote down 9 rules and the consequences of breaking those rules. I get SO tired of telling the girls to clean up their toys every night - I either get the response, "We're too tired" or "Well, we will clean up only if you'll help us." So one of our new "official rules" is "Clean up toys/messes before bed." Whatever is still left out after they're in bed will "disappear." Another rule: "Bedtime is at 9:00 - a little later since it's summer (unless something special is going on)." If that rule is broken, then we have to forego the beloved bedtime stories. So now it's official. The girls know the rules and the consequences of not following the rules. And at the end of the day, if we look back and think that they've done pretty well for the day, then they get a little stone to put in their jar. (If they've been horrible, then no stone). After 10 stones in the jar, they can redeem them for a "prize" (like baking cookies, movie time, etc.) So we'll see how it goes!! (P.S. After we discussed the rules, Makenna's eyes got big as she held up her pointer finger and said very seriously, "And NO putting honey in anyone's hair.")

4 comments:

Jolene said...

I think that is such a good idea, maybe we will have to establish written family rules at our next family home evening. We have become so relaxed with our displine/rules that I definitely need a new system. Keep us up to date on how the rewards jar is working.

Jolene

la-dawn@juno.com said...

I just hate it when someone puts honey in MY hair!

The Stansbury Stephens said...

I totally need to take this idea to heart. I've tried establishing "systems" for rewards, discipline, etc., but they get forgotten. I need to post the rules where they can be seen and follow through. Thanks for the tips!

Photo Thoughts said...

Kellie you are simply amazing at your mothering skills! Wendy