Friday, February 29, 2008

Which Hat to Choose?


Well, I guess Jen challenged her blog readers to answer the question about what they want to be when they "grow up." I can honestly say that, well, I'm already doing it. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a mom, and a stay-at-home mom at that. I guess I just always assumed that it would just happen. It wasn't until Quentin and I were thinking about starting a family that I began to worry - What if it doesn't happen? What if I can never have kids? But we found out we were pregnant a month before we were even planning on it! And when it came to the staying home part, I just assumed that I would just quit my job when we had a baby. Then when I realized that my salary would go bye-bye, it was a scary thought. With a lot of preparation and a bunch of faith, I quit and things have somehow worked out ever since. I know Heavenly Father has watched over us in this important decision and my testimony of tithing has been strengthened.

So with that said, what do I think my future holds? When my kids are all in school and I'm tired of hanging out at home alone all day long, what do I think I'll be doing? Well, would you believe I wrote down my ideas just months after Kiera was born? (I AM a list maker, you know). So here's my top 6 ideas:

* PSYCHOLOGY TEACHER - I used to dream of being a professor at a big university, but now I realize that's not for me. But I still would LOVE to teach psychology at a high school level - that's when I first learned about the subject and my teacher made it fascinating. It would be great - I could have an excuse to constantly learn more about psychology and I would have the same hours and days off as my kids. I just would have to get over being shy and being afraid of talking to a bunch of people.

* CHILDREN'S BOOK AUTHOR - Another one of my dreams that I hope to fulfill before I die!

* PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZER - Jen and I are pretty similar! There is just something so addictive and invigorating (it's like a "high" I guess!) about throwing things away, sorting through things and organizing things. Sometimes I just crave it and can't get enough!

* MYSTERY SHOPPER - I've actually done this a couple of times but these jobs get snatched up rather quickly. But man, how great would it be to go shopping and out to eat AND get paid for doing it?

* ERRAND SERVICE - I think of all the old ladies in my grandma's trailer home park who need someone to go shopping for them or take them to get their hair cut, etc. The only thing is, I probably wouldn't make much money - I'd want to do it for free!

* PIANO TUNER - Would you believe I actually looked into doing this for real? It's very lucrative once you get past the incredibly intensive training, $1200 training fee and $800 worth of tools!

1 comment:

The Colby's said...

Ok, so now I can have you AND Jen organize my house, when I get one! I think a piano tuner would be an awesome job!