Monday, February 25, 2008

MMMMMinestrone


Do any of you remember "Ristorante della Fontana" in Salt Lake? I went there a million years ago with a date (it was for my very first high school dance). Anyway, the minestrone soup was to die for - and now here is the recipe from the Salt Lake Tribune! Of course I was horrified that it called for both chicken and beef broth. I tweaked it and made it vegetarian and tried it the other night. Oh my yumminess!! Oh - and please be aware (or beware?) that it makes 18 cups - which is actually just one serving for me!! :o)

1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups diced onions
2 cups diced carrots
2 cups diced celery
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup green beans
1 cup canned kidney beans
1 cup chopped white cabbage
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons oregano
7 Tablespoons instant vegetable bouillon
7 cups water
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup barley
1 cup peas (I used diced zucchini instead)
1 cup canned garbanzo beans
1 cup ditalini or macaroni shells, cooked
1 cup spinach, cooked
Parmesan cheese for garnish, if desired

In large soup pot over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add onions, carrots and celery. Saute until onions are translucent. Add diced tomatoes, green beans, kidney beans, cabbage, herbs and spices, bouillon, water, tomato puree and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in peas (or zucchini), garbanzo beans and cooked pasta. Simmer 15 minutes. Stir in spinach. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yum yum!

2 comments:

Me - Jen said...

OOOHHH I can't wait to try, thanks for sharing.!!!

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Oh, my yumminess is right!
Thank you for sharing when I was dying last week! I know that is what made me start feeling better.
It was sooooo gooood!