Wednesday, February 15, 2012

More Funnies

The other day as Kasidee and I were running errands, we drove past the high school. I said, "That's where you'll go to high school when you're older." Kasidee asked, "Is that where you went too?" I told her that no, I went to a different high school. She said, "I thought you went to all of the schools." So I started listing the elementary, junior high, high school and college that I went to. And then as an afterthought I said, "Oh! And did you know I went to preschool? It was called Young World and my teacher's name was Miss Laurie." Kasidee paused for nearly a minute and then said, "That's awkward."

A couple of months ago Makenna came home from school and said that they had a lesson about bullies. She was very serious when she said, "Mommy, it's okay to feel anger sometimes. Everyone feels angry sometimes. But it's not okay to hurt people - even their feelings - when you're angry. It's important to not let your anger turn to danger." I smiled, knowing that the lesson she had heard at school had stuck. So...yesterday Makenna brought home a pretty Valentine card that she had made at school. This is exactly what she wrote inside the card: "Happy Valintins Day! Have a Happy great day! thank you for my toys. and thank you for the Big Balloon that was a hart i love that! I will Love you all the time Even if i get angry. and i dont want my Anger to Turn to Danger. I Love You!"

When Kiera was little, I quickly realized that some of the "classic" children's movies can be scary or even teach things that I don't find appropriate. So we either avoid those or watch them with the girls so we can explain and have a good discussion. So the other day Kasidee wanted to watch "Frosty the Snowman" that we got from the library. Forgetting about the "corn cob pipe," I put it in for her. When I noticed the pipe, I started to say something, but Kasidee interrupted me and said, "Frosty has a hammer in his mouth. That's gross. I would never put a wooden hammer in my mouth." That was a good enough discussion for now!

No comments: