Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hats....


Well, in addition to being many different things and wearing many different hats, I guess it's finally "official" that I will soon be wearing the "hat" of preschool teacher! I have always loved the process of learning and was specifically drawn to child development when I was completing my psychology degree. In junior high, I used to have the neighborhood kids come over in the summer for a little preschool, just for the fun of it. And I guess in the back of my mind, I've always thought that maybe I would do it "for real" someday.

When Kiera started preschool a few years ago, I have to admit that I wasn't sure what to expect. In a lot of ways, I thought preschool was just a glorified playgroup and I was unsure of the benefits. In fact, I was hesitant to even enroll Kiera. But during my first time as a "Parent Helper" at preschool, I was enthralled - I was impressed with how professional it seemed and it's focus on acadmics - and making learning fun. Even though the preschool was just held in our neighbor's home, each month when I went to help, I got more and more excited. I just kept thinking, "I love this" - the cute kids, so intent on learning, the fun environment, etc.

So about 6 months ago, Makenna's preschool teacher (the same one Kiera had 2 years before), mentioned that she is going to be going back to school and wondered if I would be interested in teaching a class just once a week. I jumped at the chance! It's taken a few months to get everything settled (her husband was changing jobs and she needed to make sure they could afford hiring out one of the 3 classes, etc.) but I guess it's official - so starting this Fall I will be teaching the Mozart Math class at the preschool. I went today to observe how the class functions and view the lesson plans - and I'm stoked!!

And what's even more, I guess in a year and a half (so Fall 2011), the one teacher wants to quit teaching so she can focus on going back to school - and she won't be able to continue having it in her home. The other teaching partner doesn't have enough space in her home, so she and I have been chatting over the last few months, and I offered to do it here. Quentin and I discussed it and decided we could finish his shop area (he's so supportive in what I want to do, plus I think he's motivated to finish the space because then it can also be used as a future theater room!). So that's the plan - and our goal is to become a licensed preschool. I'm learning so much and feel this is a good opportunity not only for me, but also my family and those cute little preschool kids!

4 comments:

Minetta said...

Wowee!!! Good for you!

la-dawn@juno.com said...

Kellie, you will be such a good teacher! This is a great opportunity for you and you will do a great job!
And....you will also have the summers free...yahoo!

The Colby's said...

Congrats on it all working out!! Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of work, but worth it!!

Aim Aug said...

That's wonderful! I am so excited for you!!!